With us moving into our new house here in the next few weeks and I want to get our beds up and going before we miss our window to plant for spring harvest. I like to have all my ducks in order before I really start anything so went a head an made a 3D rendering of our new raised beds. Which will will be making out of 4×6’s. So, I got my cut list then compared it to if I used a 2×12 instead. The difference in wood costs would only be $80.00. With that in mind I just stuck with my original plan the 4×6’s. In which won’t require any screws. I’ll drill holes vertically into the 4 inch side then drive a 2 ft rebar through the wood then a foot into the dirt. With my BFH they should in theory should be a breeze to dive in place. Knowing me I will be using my laser leveler to make sure all of this is squared and true.
With these number I was able to get my yard measurements of how much compost I’ll be needing to fill this bed. Which ended up looking like an L (which you can see below). It came out to 18ft to the corner then the same to the other end. Taking the already used SQFT in the corner I minuses out 4ft. With it being a foot deep 4.8 sq yards. I’ll get 6 yards just for good measure. This is straight compost from my local worm farm ( Arizona Worm Farm ) I was originally going to do the whole Mel Mix which is suggested for square foot gardening. Split in 3’s, 1/3 compost 1/3 vermiculite and 1/3 peat moss or coconut fiber (or coco core). I had amazing results with my last set up so I’m not going to fix what isn’t broken.